We all love to eat something new, but watch out for the foods in this list.
Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy…or die, if you bite into too many cherry stones. Or apricot, plum or peach pits. They contain hydrogen cyanide, which is so poisonous that a mere 0.1 grams has the potential to kill a 10 stone (150 pound) person. As a cherry pit contains around 0.17 grams of cyanide, ingesting just one or two crushed stones could kill you. The amount of cyanide per cherry stone varies, so a lethal dose could be higher than just one stone, but why take the risk?
There’s a good reason why fugu (or pufferfish) is banned in the United States: it’s one of the most poisonous foods in the world. Unless it’s cooked exactly right, the puffer fish is 1,200 times more deadly than cyanide, which makes those cherry pits looks like a walk in the park.
Glycoalkaloids, also found in nightshade, can be found in the leaves, stems, and sprouts of potatoes. It can also build up in the potato if it’s left too long, especially in the light. Eating glycoalkaloids will lead to cramping, diarrhea, confused headaches, or even coma and death. It’s said that just 3 to 6 mg per kilogram of body weight could be fatal. Avoid potatoes with a greenish tinge.
4.Sannakji Choking Octopus
In Korea, rather than you choking on your food, your food might actually choke you. A Sannakji wriggling octopus can be a great treat for those who love seafood. You can pick them up in local markets in Korea, but you have to be extremely careful — these octopi are served while the animal is still moving. They have been known to attach their tentacles and suction cups around the necks of diners and choke them to death. Sometimes food gets its revenge.
5.Casu Marzu: Sardinian Maggot Cheese
Casu Marzu is a traditional Sardinian cheese that’s extra-fermented by live maggots that partially decompose the cheese. Not feeling this one? Neither is the US government. The cheese is banned for sanitary/hygienic reasons.
Because it doesn’t go through the pasteurization process in which harmful toxins are killed, unpasteurized honey often contains grayanotoxin. That can lead to dizziness, weakness, excessive sweating, nausea, and vomiting that last for 24 hours. Typically just one tablespoon of concentrated grayanotoxin can cause the symptoms above. Consuming multiple tablespoons would be a bad idea.
Firstly, these are seeds, not nuts, so you’ve been misled all this time. Their shells are deadly, and have a coating of anacardic acid, which can burn your skin if handled incorrectly, as well as give you a nastily upset stomach. Additionally, cashews must be cooked or steamed before consumption, as in their raw state they contain urushiol, a chemical which is also found in poison ivy, and can be fatal if consumed in large enough amounts. So if you see cashews growing in the wild on your travels, don’t pick or eat them.
Not all of the foods on this list are strange and exotic. Everyone loves hot dogs. (Well, maybe strict vegetarians don’t, but you get the point.) As widespread as these little meat missiles are, they come with some risk. Hot dogs can cause asphyxiation, especially in young children, which can lead to death. You should always take small bites, and chew the heck out of your hot dogs. If you have little kids, cut those hot dogs up before serving them
Alfalfa sprouts, particularly raw, are an “ideal” environment for bacteria growth. Over the past two decades there have been 30 separate foodborne illness outbreaks associated with the consumption of sprouts, including Salmonella and E. coli, according to the US Department of Health & Human Services.
Hope you will take the list seriously, if you are looking for workout clothes check out our fitness and yoga leggings page.